I'm at a stage where I kind of want to talk about ivf again.
1st attempt last year. 8 collected, 2 fertilised and one transferred. Period came a week after ET.
2nd attempt 9 collected and none fertilised.
2nd time hit us even harder than 1st. It's been hell of a journey emotionally and we dont want to be on that emotional rollacoaster again. But 5 months after our last failed attempt, I still think about wanting to me a mum everyday.
Should we try again? Given the last two goes, I think chances of succeeding are low, but docs said still a chance as we got fertilisation 1st time round.
I feel that we should do it once more and then move on to maybe looking at adoption.
Sorry to hear you have had no luck on this IVF roller coaster we are on!!
I had 2 attempts at IVF last year and both times got a good number of eggs and only 1 fertilised each time and i got BFN each time.
My doctor very much implied that this was down to the quality of my eggs, to be fair they said this after the first failed attempt, but we really wanted to give it another go and the same thing happened. So we have gone down the egg donor route and hopefully I will be having embryo transfer on Saturday if all goes to plan.
For me it was an easy decision to go down this route as I really want a baby, and feel that if I carry it then it will be mine. But I think I needed to have the failed second attempt to get to this point.
We are self funding, so for the third attempt I wanted to spend the money wisely. Maybe thats something you could think about.
If you can afford it, could you have another go with your eggs and then think about egg donation?
The egg donation wait in england is about 2 years, abroad it is much quicker as they still have anonymity for donors, we are having our treatment in Barcelona.
But I think there are some hospitals here which do a shared scheme.
I always said we would have 3 goes at this and this is our third, you have to know your self whether you will look back and regret not having another go, or maybe you could end up with a lovely adopted family, but reading your post I think you want to give it another go!
Thanks for replying. They said I may have an egg problem too. My DH has low count, so we got double troubles. If anything, I think adoption would be next step if ivf with our own eggs/sperm is not working.
I would love to try again, although I'll have to take out a loan. It's just taking us soo long to decide what we want to do. I want to try again, buy DH is still going through the motions as the failed attempts hit us hard.
It's hard as we both get our up and down days. It's in my head everyday. If DH having bad day and can't sleep, it means I can't sleep and I worry bout him.
Not sure if it's common to still be feeling like this after 5 months since last failed attempt.
Good luck with the egg donation route. Hopefully it will start your journey to motherhood!
Just wanted to tell you my story in case it helps with your decision. Iv had ivf 4 times in all, first two I got low number of eggs (5 1st, 6 2nd), half being mature then half again fertilising, dr said if I did it again i should use donor eggs. We decided to try one more go with my own eggs, also had accupuncture this time and got 13 eggs, lots mature and lots fertilised, I got a bfp but sadly we lost it at 11 wks. After getting a bfp we felt we needed one last go, saved up and went for it, I got a bfp and am 19wks now. Im not saying it will work same way for you but if you have the slightest feeling you want to have one last go before moving onto other methods of being a mum I say go for it. Personally I didnt want to think 'what if' and made sure we knew this was the right route for us.
Hope you work out what is best for you and dh, have you looked into the other options so see if they would suit you better?
I think u have one more go in u girlie .. Get a loan
If u have to ... It will be so worth it . I think if u don't
I think u will always wonder what if !!!! I had a misscarriage
In jan I thought no I can't do it again after going throw Ivf
Then miss carrying that's just not fair .. But the girls on
Here got me throw it I'm now building up to my EC which is on the 9th April
I think that's a great ideas ... Don't forget to look me up when u come bac on .. Or even stay on it might help u .. When I had my MC I went away for bait but I came bac .. The support is great ... R u on the book of faces lol xx
Just read your post. Follow your heart there's only you and dh can make the decision I had a loan for my 2 bd attempt we spent it on Icsi and acupuncture. Or fistr try I did nothing to help quality etc and reacted really badly to the drugs so needless to say it was a bfn. Round 2 was a lot different and we got a bfp but due to a car accident I mc at 6 wk. this time I'm using the insurance money and this is our final go. Between the first and second attempt I waited 5 yr as I could not face it. Between the second and third it's been 4 yrs it took the insurance 3 to pay out and I didn't want another loan hanging over us. I'm stimulating now due for ec on 16 th. counselling is a good choice. As its a traumatic time everytime you step on this roller coaster. Hope you reach a decision that works for you both.
ivfworld.com owns all site material which must not be
used without prior permission. Any views expressed in message boards,
personal stories, members notes, reviews or in emails represent the opinions
of the author and do not represent the opinions of ivfworld.com.